About Wendee Nicole
Award-winning Houston-based Writer
Specializing in Science, Environmental Health, Conservation, Sustainability, Green Issues, Wildlife, Animals, and Eco-Travel
A man of sincerity is less interested
in defending the truth than in stating it clearly, for he thinks that if
the truth can be clearly seen it can very well take care of itself.
--Thomas Merton, No Man is an Island.
wendeenicole _AT_ gmail.com
Photos, Artwork, Design and Text Copyright (c)
Wendee Nicole (Holtcamp)
Put it before them briefly so they
will read it, clearly so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so they
will remember it, and above all, accurately so they will be guided by
| Online Writing Course |
Science & Faith |
- Next class dates TBD! 6-week Online Magazine Writing Bootcamp. ($200) I am preparing for a move to Africa, so will announce new course dates as my schedule lightens up, probably in the late summer or fall. You can still sign up for the “next” class, and will receive access to the materials in the meantime and reserve a slot in the next limited-class-size course! You can also purchase the materials only. Get more info here!
- I have been a busy girl! I traveled to Uganda under the Mongabay Prize for Environmental Reporting I received, a 6-month grant to report on tropical forest conservation. Articles under the grant have started coming out!
- Pig Poop Power: Scaling up waste-to-energy technology could transform the hog farming industry. Discover Magazine, Mar 2014. (the full article will not be online until May).
- A Question for Women's Health. Chemicals in Feminine Hygiene Products and Personal Lubricants (may not be safe...). Environmental Health Perspectives. PDF version. Mar 2014.
- BMW's Big Bet on Carbon Fiber. How carbon-fiber technology is transforming the auto industry, starting with the uber-cool BMW i-3! Solutions Journal (Rocky Mountain Institute). Spring 2014.
- Award! I received the 2013 American Society of Journalists and Authors (ASJA) Award -- Best Science/Tech/Biz Mag article. The Judges wrote, "Wendee's Did Tap Water Kill Lou Gehrig is science writing as it should be: sharp, clear prose that builds into a great story about an intriguing, sophisticated topic. Wendee's story stood out in a large and unusually strong field this year."
- CAFOs (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations) and Environmental Justice: The Case of North Carolina. Hog farms are disproportionately placed in low-income, minority neighborhoods. Environmental Health Perspectives, June 2013.
- Game On!: Businesses have used behavioral science to influence consumers for decades. Can it be used to save the planet? Ensia.com. Spring 2013 print issue.
- Think for Yourself: Critical thinking skills are more important than ever in today's information environment. Ensia.com. Spring 2013 online only.
- Fish return to undammed Elwha River. Nature. July 5, 2012. (Also see my blog for photos of my visit there in June and July - I went out in the field, in hip waders mind you, with biologists, and also took my son hiking in Olympic National Park! Fun!).
- Flavors of Uncertainty: The Difference between [Science] Denial and Debate. Aug 2012 Environmental Health Perspectives (PDF here). A feature that arose from my visit to the Science Denial conference in Madison, WI.
- Obesogens: An Environmental Link to Obesity. (PDF here). Feb 2012. Environmental Health Perspectives. (Also related news story on PFOA/ C8 Lawsuit Findings)
- I ask Alexandra Cousteau: What would it take to create sustainable ocean fisheries? Momentum Magazine, Winter 2012.
- I wrote a short summary of the American Scientific
Affiliation's First Symposium on
Eating Meat and Christian Ethics from their annual conference in Naperville, IL I attended.
Changing Planet, Planet Health Q&A with co-author Paul Epstein, Harvard professor at Climate Central. Praised by the book's co-author Dan Ferber as "the most probing, incisive, interview that either of us have done so far."
- The Tiniest Catch Marine scientists are prowling the Bering Sea to learn how climate affects minute sea creatures and the lucrative fishery that depends on them. Nature. Nov 4, 2010. I also
wrote 9 posts for Nature's Great Beyond blog when I was on the ship (that goes to the final one, with previous posts linked at the bottom).
- I authored the AOL Travel Guide to Houston-An online guide with the best attractions, hotels, restaurants, and more, as well as a history and overview of the Bayou City! (no byline). "I'm almost finished with the first sweep through your guide and it is awesome! Great style and by far the cleanest copy I've received yet." - Editor Craig Guillot
Save the Birds - With Doppler Radar. The first article I wrote for the award-winning Pacific Standard (then Miller-McCune) magazine, Apr/May 2011.
Picked up in a blog post on the
Science Journalism Tracker. "Evocative, focused, surprising, and narratively pure" - Charlie Petit, KSJ blogger.
Texas Thirst for Water Bucks National Trend While the rest of the U.S.
is tearing down decaying dams, Texas wants some dam water. Miller-McCune magazine online.
Published Aug. 4, 2011.
Can Eating Less Meat Curb Climate Change? An essay in The Daily Climate online.
Pubd Jan 19, 2011.
- Saving Big Bird:
A cyclone forced endangered cassowaries out of the rainforest and
into the danger zone. Wildlife Conservation Magazine. May 2009.
for the Firefox. Nepal's red panda is getting help from a small group of local forest
guardians, but the highly endangered mammal still faces a troubled future as its habitat is lost to
deforestation. National Wildlife Magazine. Feb/Mar 2009.
Devil of a Problem. The world's most famous marsupial predator may face extinction within 15 years from a contagious cancer. National Wildlife magazine Jun/July 2008.
- DIVING WITH SHARKS! In April 2008, Discovery Channel
sent me to Australia's Coral Sea with biologists and the Expedition Shark documentary crew.
The first post, Fear, about our
relationship with and to sharks, is one of my faves. The
rest are here.
I also did three podcasts through
Discovery's Earth Live (podcasts 1, 3, and 4).
- My 30 days of Consumer Celibacy.
Living Green dept. OnEarth Magazine, Summer 2007. I love this article, and check out the hilarious
artwork! Also you can listen to a
podcast interview about the piece!
Will Urban Sprawl K.O. the Koala? A wildlife hospital founded by the late Crocodile Hunter
Steve Irwin is helping Australia's teddy-bearish marsupial weather the threat of fragmented
forest habitat. June/July 2007, National Wildlife Magazine.
- "I just read
Many Bayous, One River [Dec 2006 TX Parks & Wildlife Magazine].
Thank gosh we have writers like Wendee who have the history, the passion and the reporting
and writing chops to take on a story like this. Kudos to her!!"
-Tom Harvey, Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept
- Back to Nature:
What is it about simplicity and solitude that inspires writers?
My New Mexico Adventures Featured in E the Environmental Magazine!
I received 1st Place 2006
IRMA Award (International Regional Magazine Association) for
Best Nature Feature,
Save the Monkeyface, published in Texas Parks & Wildlife Magazine, April 2005.
Magazine Writing Class
Learn to write for magazines and get paid for it. Originally designed for students interested in writing 'green' - anything environment, science, outdoor travel, natural history - it can and has been modified by students interested in writing about health, parenting, spirituality/religion and other topics.
Want to Be a Writer?
Listen to me on the WildSide News Talk Radio.
Do What You Love!
I've been at this for more than 15 years, and I love nothing more than going on
adventures with scientists around
the world and writing about it for magazines. Whether you're an aspiring or professional
writer, the course materials will meet you where you are at.
If you're a professional writer and would like to write for more nature,
conservation, travel and outdoor markets, this course is for you.
If you enjoy nature, wildlife, and conservation; or if you like writing or
journaling and are considering a career in writing, you might be pleasantly
surprised to learn how easy it is to publish with the right guidance and
Sign up now!
Get More Information at the
Magazine Writing Bootcamp Page
THINK! Science & Faith Issues
- Nature Writing e-Course
- Video production
- Nonprofit writing
Available for annual reports, newsletters, research,
video production, multimedia, and any other writing projects. Inquire!